Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Valencia Wreck

Hello all.
Here is a recently completed project for Parks Canada about a famous nautical disaster which took place off the coast of Vancouver Island during the early part of the 20th century.
I had a month to create 8 illustrations and one wooden Diorama depicting the horrific event. I won't go too much in to the details of the story here, but I totally recommend that you guys read up it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Valencia
This was probably one of the most enjoyable assignments I've had ever had the fortune of working on.
It was a pleasant surprise when the art director asked that I work in ink wash, a medium that I rarely get to visit these days.
Thanks to Dan Pach and the fine folks at Parks Canada!













Everything is going to be part of an interactive display about the history of the West Coast Trail, so if any of you guys are going to be in the Tofino area next may, stop by the Wikininish Visitors Centre and check it out!

7 comments:

Drew Geremia said...

Magnificent! I particularly dig the contrast you have with those loose brush strokes for the sky and flow of the wind against the crisp, clean blends for the boat and people.

jennygalliott said...

Amasing!! HA! its awesome that i can say i know you!!! Your such a wonderful artist!

laura! said...

Awwww, I'm blushing! haha.
Thanks guys!

Unknown said...

Laura,
These are brilliant! Your sense of light has evolved so beautifully. There is so much emotion in these scenes and they are so well thought out.
I'm so proud of you. Now I have even more reason to come visit you on the island.
Big Hugs. Cyn.

Jessie Mead said...

Dude, soooo awesome!

Kim Smith said...

Hey Laura!

These illustrations are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful animation and use of color but perhaps not a style for depicting such a tragic event.