Monday, February 8, 2010

Teenage girls be crazy, yo.

Hello everyone.
I am all settled here in Victoria, and thought it high time to update with another process post.
This image was done for Work of Arts Magazine, an alumni magazine for the University of Alberta. The article was about extreme mood swings in teenage girls
As I usually do, I started off with a whole swag of rough sketches, just trying out as many ideas as possible...

before narrowing it down to these three. The AD liked the Venus flytrap idea the best, but in the end we wound up going with #1



After some revisions I started the painting.
Rough transfer sketch:

Blocking in the colors:

beginning to put in midtones:

Getting a bit darker:

Pulling out hilights:

And the finished painting!

1 comment:

J-P said...

Nice development on this one - I saw it over at Apedogs too. I really loved the rose/venus flytrap idea... So much experience of that one!